Skip to main content

OOW14 : One week in a nutshell

Two weeks ago I visited Oracle Open World in San Francisco. A glimpse of my activity during Oracle Open World can be found in this post. If you want to hear more, please visit the AMIS Oracle Open World Review Session at October 16th.


Saturday
After a one hour delay at Amsterdam Schiphol Airport the airplane with, amongst others, several AMIS employees took of for San Francisco. There we met with our colleagues who flew in earlier this week.
As always the main goal for this trip is to gather as many news as we can. Every one of us has his own areas of focus. For me that is of course mobile Application Framework and other mobile related topics. This year I added the Internet of Things and gamification to it. Also I will look at Fusion Applications. A whole lot to cover and that in just 4 days. Besides all this I will also be in the OOW bookstore to,do some promotion of my Oracle MAF book. By far the best news of the day was the fact that AMIS won the EMEA Middleware Partner of the Year award !!

Sunday
This is as ussual the User group sunday. The ODTUG and the ADF EMG organized a day full of great sessions. The jetlag session, sunday morning at 8:00 this year was for Martin Disterheft. It was a good session on forms modernization and they had a full house. After that session and saying hello to some old friends of mine in the ADF community I decided to get back to my hotel room to do the final preparations of my Presentation at 3:30 about the new Oracle Mobile Application Framework.In my presentation I had an Almost full house as well. The presentation went well and a had some good questions from the audience as well. At the end one of the attendees was the lucky winner of one of my books.

After the session I had to go straight to Lulu's where AMIS was organizing the Oracle Benelux Welcome Reception.

Monday

Oracle today announced the Oracle MAF Developer Challenge, a real contest to build an Oracle MAF app and you can win cash prizes (bit.ly/MAFChallenge).


After lunch I was in the bookstore for a " Meet the author" session. Everybody who decided to buy my book between 1:00 and 1:30 would get a signed copy. Would, because by that time, my book had complete sold out at the bookstore. Oracle Press had to bring in a new shipment, and by Tuesday morning, there were new copies available.


During the evening I attended the "Benelux Architects cafe" as a Fusion Middleware Expert, with specialization in ADF and MAF. I was available for questions and discussion while drinking some of the finest local beers.

Tuesday

Handson lab day for me. I attended 3 handson labs. In between i visited the Java one exhibition floor and dropped of a copy of my Oracle Mobile Application Framework book at the Oracle demo booth and ran like crazy to be on time for the General session by Chris Tonas; Next-Gen Application Development—The Mobile and Cloud Effect. That for me was definitely one of the highlights of this week. Chris had some very very nice demos of the preview of Mobile Application Accelerator, part of the Mobile Cloud Service. Also I saw some great stuff of Oracle's Developer Cloud Service Besides continuous integration, issue tracking and version control, the developer cloud also supports browser based development. You can actually open a workspace and edit at least Java scripts, JSON and CSS. Perhaps even more, but that was not on the demo. You can edit the code, save the changes, re-run your Application to reflect the changes and if it all is working fine, commit your changes to Git.The show ended with the very first official demo of Oracles new skin, the Oracle Alta UI, that can be used for both mobile and web to get a nice and consistent look and feel across all platforms. Very nice, very flat an very white.


Get it now at http://t.co/BCZSZ4WCZr

After that I did a Handson lab with HCM cloud, where I learned that HCM cloud has a very intuitive UI and UX. After some business with customers I ended the afternoon with a HOL on IoT and FMW.
After this final HOL I ran of the the ADF EMG and MAF developers meetup.
End of the day was show time for Frank Nimphius and Chris Muir who did a great show during the BOF session about ADF architecture.


 I finished Tuesday in a bar, celebrating Oracle Press' 20th anniversary, having a drink with Frank Nimphius, Duncan Mills, Grant Ronald and Frederic Desbiens, all who are authors, just like me. Ah and yes, Chris Muir was there too, and because he talked me into writing my MAF book, he was allowed to join the party ;-)

Wednesday
Wednesday I visited the demogrounds.


I scored some nice confidential regarding Oracle MAF. Unfortunately I cannot disclose this now.

The session of the ADF Data Visualizations Product Management team was next on my list. They showed some very nice DVT components. Unfortunately i had to leave early. At 12 I had a scheduled recording for my "two minute tech tip" for the OTN archbeat. The tip I gave was one about using oracle's online component demo for MAF : adfjdev.oracle.com/amx where you can find all info regarding MAF components.

In the afternoon I attended some great MAF sessions. In one of the customers actually demood the Mobile Apps that were developed with the Oracle Mobile Appliction Framework.


And my Open World week ended at the annual appreciation event.

Thursday
It's a small world after all. During the whole week you run into people you know and have a nice chat with Oracle employees and peers. Even when I was at Moscone at 900, to pick up a couple of copies of my book, I had a chat with some of the dutch guys that, at that early time of the day, where already in the OTN Lounge working, or getting ready for a presentation, or running to be on time to attend a presentation. And with my final glimpse at Moscone and Howard street it struck me : Oracle has all the clouds !

















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ADF 12.1.3 : Implementing Default Table Filter Values

In one of my projects I ran into a requirement where the end user needs to be presented with default values in the table filters. This sounds like it is a common requirement, which is easy to implement. However it proved to be not so common, as it is not in the documentation nor are there any Blogpost to be found that talk about this feature. In this blogpost I describe how to implement this. The Use Case Explained Users of the application would typically enter today's date in a table filter in order to get all data that is valid for today. They do this each and every time. In order to facilitate them I want to have the table filter pre-filled with today's date (at the moment of writing July 31st 2015). So whenever the page is displayed, it should display 'today' in the table filter and execute the query accordingly. The problem is to get the value in the filter without the user typing it. Lets first take a look at how the ADF Search and Filters are implemented by

How to: Adding Speech to Oracle Digital Assistant; Talk to me Goose

At Oracle Code One in October, and also on DOAG in Nurnberg Germany in November I presented on how to go beyond your regular chatbot. This presentation contained a part on exposing your Oracle Digital Assistant over Alexa and also a part on face recognition. I finally found the time to blog about it. In this blogpost I will share details of the Alexa implementation in this solution. Typically there are 3 area's of interest which I will explain. Webhook Code to enable communication between Alexa and Oracle Digital Assistant Alexa Digital Assistant (DA) Explaining the Webhook Code The overall setup contains of Alexa, a NodeJS webhook and an Oracle Digital Assistant. The webhook code will be responsible for receiving and transforming the JSON payload from the Alexa request. The transformed will be sent to a webhook configured on Oracle DA. The DA will send its response back to the webhook, which will transform into a format that can be used by an Alexa device. To code

ADF 11g Quicky 3 : Adding Error, Info and Warning messages

How can we add a message programatically ? Last week I got this question for the second time in a months time. I decided to write a short blogpost on how this works. Adding messages is very easy, you just need to know how it works. You can add a message to your faces context by creating a new FacesMessage. Set the severity (ERROR, WARNING, INFO or FATAL ), set the message text, and if nessecary a message detail. The fragment below shows the code for an ERROR message. 1: public void setMessagesErr(ActionEvent actionEvent) { 2: String msg = "This is a message"; 3: AdfFacesContext adfFacesContext = null; 4: adfFacesContext = AdfFacesContext.getCurrentInstance(); 5: FacesContext ctx = FacesContext.getCurrentInstance(); 6: FacesMessage fm = 7: new FacesMessage(FacesMessage.SEVERITY_ERROR, msg, ""); 8: ctx.addMessage(null, fm); 9: } I created a simple page with a couple of buttons to show the result of setting the message. When the but